7th Grade Science
7th Grade Science:
The goal of this course is for students to develop an understanding and appreciation of the workings of the physical world. Students practice gathering, compiling, observing and analyzing information - leading to a greater ability to explore and learn from the world around them.
7th Grade Curriculum Overview
Unit I: Human Body. You will learn how the human body is made to function and how to keep it healthy.
- Structure and Function
- one-celled organisms and their functions.
- cells to organisms
- body systems; parts, functions, interactions with each other
- effects of toxins on the body systems
Unit II: Genetics & Inheritance. You will learn how you inherit and pass on your physical traits.
- Sexual and asexual reproduction; mitosis and meiosis
- Mendellian inheritance
- Genetic diseases
Unit III: Weather. You will learn what atmospheric conditions create weather, the impact of ocean currents on climate and the role weather plays in enabling or disabling human societies.
- Atmospheric gasses
- Air masses and storm fronts; how do we predict weather?
- Global winds and climate
- Air quality; science and stewardship
Unit IV: Physics. In this truly inquiry-based physics exploration you will learn through discovery the physical laws that define our universe.
- Motion; The effects of forces on motion, graphical representations of motion
- Energy forms and transfer; potential to kinetic, work, simple machines and mechanical advantage.
Scientific Method. This ‘unit' is embedded throughout your 7th grade science course. You will explore, discuss and apply the scientific method in many varied ways. We will conclude the year with an exploration of the role science plays in our society and demonstrate an increasing ability to recognize what science ‘is' and ‘is not'.
- Structure questions that can be answered through scientific investigations, control and manipulate variables, define operationally, communicate procedures, results, and explanations, formulate further questions.
- Scientific text, articles, popular press
- Measurement in today's world.