Overview & Syllabus
This course is the very beginning of what will hopefully become a lifetime love of Spanish! It is designed to provide students with a conversational background of Spanish as well as to provide acquisition of basic grammar and vocabulary. We will spend most of this course in the present tense.
The primary text of Spanish I is Realidades 1. The following is the material we will cover in this text as well as cultural elements that the teacher will bring to the classroom using a variety of sources including personal experiences, collection of music and realia, and guest speakers.
- Negative statements
- Articles: definite & indefinite
- Word order
- Subject pronouns
- Present tense of -AR verbs
- "Being" verbs: "ser" & "estar"
- Plural of nouns and articles
- Present tense of -ER & -IR verbs
- "Liking" verbs: "gustar" & "encantar"
- Plural of adjectives
- Verb "ir"
- Interrogative words
- "Ir + a + infinitive" to express future activities
- Stem-changing verb: u-ue "jugar"
- Possessive adjectives
- Irregular "Yo" verbs: "tener" & "venir"
- Comparisons & superlatives
- Stem-changing verbs: o-ue "dormir" & "poder"
- Affirmative "tú" commands
- Present progressive
- Numbers 0-100
- Body parts
- Asking for help
- Likes & dislikes
- Describing people: physical & personality
- Prepositions of location
- Food & Drinks
- Adverbs of frequency
- Expressions to show surprise, preferences, agreement, disagreement, quantity
- Leisure activities
- Expressions to talk about social activities
- Accepting/Declining invitations
- Describing people
- Ordering food
- Household items & chores
- Independence Days of Latin American countries
- "Travel" to the Spanish-speaking world
- Hispanic Heritage Month
- Día de la Raza vs Columbus Day (Oct. 12)
- Día de los Muertos (Nov. 1 & 2)
- Music & Dance
- Food Festivals
- Día nacional de Tango (Dec. 11th)
- Navidad in Spain & Latin America ~ Parrandas & Posadas
- Día de los Reyes (Jan. 6th)
- Día de San Valentín & Latino Stereotypes of Passion & Machismo
- Calle 8/Carnaval